- 1 salmon 5 kilos
- Salt 5 kilos
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- Mustard 1 teaspoon
- Basil (a handful)
- 1 chilli
- Fresh mint 30 g
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- We are going to cook a whole fish in salt. It is an old-school method you can cook this salmon at home and it is also great to cook for a lot of people. Take a 5 kilo salmon and 4-5 kilos of salt, or enough salt to cover the fish.
- Take your salt, add a glass of water and 1 egg. Give that a good mix, to mix salt with water and an egg.
- Take your fish, leave the scales, have it gutted. Place some herbs into the cavity. Fill in your salmon with some fennel, marjoram, parsley, chives and slices of lemon.
- Take a big baking tray, with some salt create a base for your fish. You want 2 cm of salt under the fish and over and around the fish.
- Place your fish into the oven for 40 minutes at 200 degrees C.
- While the fish is baking, cook easy mayonnaise. Start whisking 1 egg yolk, without stopping whisking add 1 teaspoon of mustard and add 100 ml of extra-virgin olive oil. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of good quality vinegar and then, season to taste. To make this basil even better, use essence of basil. Take a handful of basil and place it into the pestle and mortar. Add a pinch of salt and some olive oil. Bash it up. Sieve your bashed basil into your mayo and give it a mix. DIY mayo is absolutely delicious.
- Chilli salsa with mint will be a perfect complement to your baked salmon. Take equal quantities of chilli and mint. Finely chop 1 red chilli and some mint. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Season with salt. Give that a good mix.
- In 40 minutes remove your fish out of the oven and leave it in its salt for another 30 minutes.
See: Other Fish Recipes by Jamie Oliver
See: Other Sauce Recipes by Jamie Oliver
See: Other Thanksgiving Recipes by Jamie Oliver